Sunday, September 30, 2012

Glück und Pech


9/22: As I write this, Jetlag has still not settled and I’m exhausted.  Naturally, I left Vienna too late and arrived in Graz at 1:30.  My landlady placed the key to my prearranged apartment in a nearby pharmacy for me to pick up BEFORE 1 p.m.  This was very thoughtful of her considering that she was out of town on a business trip.  Those in the states will not understand this, but shops on Saturday usually close by midday (12:30 in this case).  So, It's two more nights in a Hostel for me.  Cha-Ching!

9/28: Naturally, I was under some strain so I decided to walk around town which could only cheer me up.  I stowed all of my 4 bags in a train station locker (thank you Austrian rail system) and followed the map in my head to the center of town.  Those of you who know me well understand that I pride myself in my ability to navigate. I have to admit, when I got the center of town (Hauptplatz) on my own, it felt extremely good.
I had been looking at pictures and maps of Graz for the entire summer but nothing truly compares to actually beholding something with your own eyes.  For me, it was almost emotional when the classical Rathaus materialized around the corner with its pale stone facade. The old town is gorgeous and charming in a way that asks the modern spectator to imagine what a 17th century world must have been like.  Any disappointment at my lack of lodging melted away and I was compelled to walk around staring, wondering.

After meandering around for and hour, I eventually came back to reality with a need for a bed and food.  First, I needed money and I happened rather fortuitously upon an ATM, or Bankomat.  I stuck my card in, punched in my numbers and kind of looked around while the machine took its time to do whatever it does.  There, lying on the ground, was 50 euros.  Just sitting there in front of my left foot.  I looked around again.  Nobody was watching me and nobody seemed to be looking for their lost money.  I looked through the windows of the bank to see if someone was inside.  Empty, no signs of life.  I looked around again.  So, remember those little morality questions we have all been asked at some point where they ask if you'd take the money, leave the money, or give it to the authorities?  I took the money and that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment